Change AGEnts, the new older people’s participation co-operative held its UK launch on June 21st at the Welsh Assembly, as part of Co-operatives Fortnight .
The event was attended by delegates from across the UK and was sponsored by |Janice Gregory AM, and chaired by Mervyn Eastman and Howard Lewis.
Howard Lewis speaking earlier
Change Agents exists to challenge age stereotypes and to ensure that older people’s’ own voices are heard, not silenced or distorted through the filter of government ministers, civil servants, age sector organisations or academic pundits.
Change Agents exists for any individual or public, private and voluntary body, who wish to change attitudes, thus reframing, empowerment, engagement, participation, and therefore redefining civic and civil relationships.
Change Agents exists to create the space for active citizenship and as a platform for older people, including those who are marginalised.
- To act as a powerful catalyst to engagement; To bring people together, creating the space for collective decision making;
- To contribute to personal and community empowerment;
- To communicate and develop the values that underpin democracy, such as mutuality and respect,
- To promote democratic processes, influencing policy and legislation,
- To ensure that older people have a direct voice in local, regional and national government by speaking for themselves.
Guest speakers included:-
Clifford Wright: OPAG
Chrissy Meleady: Early Years Equality
Prof Harris Beider: ICOCO, Coventry University
Alex Bird: Co-operatives and Mutuals Wales
Prof Angus Skinner: CPPS, University of Strathclde
Speaking at the event, Alex Bird, Executive Chair of Co-operatives and Mutuals Wales, warmly welcomed Change AGEnts into the co-operative family.
For more information about Change AGEnts in Wales, contact Howard Lewis on 01656 880 061 or email Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org
Website coming soon at www.changeagents.uk.com