This was a momentous occasion for the UK co-operative sector. Co-operatives UK proudly hosted, with the Co-operative Group and the ICA, the culminating event of the International Year of Co-operatives here in the UK, in Manchester; with an abundance of Co-operatives UK members and societies supporting the event.
Described by the Observer’s Heather Stewart as ‘part trade show, part conference, part jamboree’ Co-operatives United was enormous, the biggest co-operative event we have seen in decades.
It combined serious business and lots of fun in one big melting pot. Young people rubbed shoulders with Russian business leaders, mime artists with Malaysian bankers, whilst co-operatives large and small talked and worked together.
• There were 11,800 visits to Co-operatives United
Comments and feedback on the week have been simply wonderful so far. ‘A world class tour de force’. ‘Fantastic’. ‘Vibrant’. ‘Inspirational’. ‘The most brilliant success’.
We hope, if you were able to make it, you enjoyed Co-operatives United just as much. Whether you attended or not, take the time to catch up on the keynotes and conversations at the interactive online event site www.manchester2012.coop/live
And have a look at the infographic with the key numbers from the week here.
What are your plans on Sunday? Why not watch The Rochdale Pioneers film premier on Film4 at 17:45
- Pioneer Robert Owen’s Impact: Learning lessons for Co-operation & Education – Saturday 12th November 2022 – online
- Robert Owen’s Coop Legacy: Community Wealth Building – slides used by Neil McInroy on 14 May 2022
- Message to attendees of Pioneer Robert Owen’s Impact Learning lessons for co-operation & education – postponement till Autumn
- Robert Owen’s Impact: Learning lessons for Co-operation and Education